Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Armpit Safety



Wednesday

I found myself swept up in the scientific glory of palaeontology, passionately learning alongside my kids about the world of fossils at the Royal Tyrrell Museum.

Madelyn decided she wants to be an archaeologist!




Davis, on the other hand, decided he wants to be a dinosaur. 

And I don't mean the stomping, roaring, living kind.



He spent much of the day imitating the dead dinosaurs -- striking the official death pose on the floor (you know, how the prehistoric sun would pull taut the wilting muscles and contract the rotting flesh so that the fossilized spine stiffened into an arch -- a very convincing posture of annihilation).


Umpteenth time on the floor, his ever-patient siblings trying to rouse him.

It can be difficult solo parenting 3 different interests and paces of life and learning, but we did our best.



Then we headed downtown to the indoor/outdoor pool for a couple hours of swimming.  Few things I love more than swimming with my kids.




Then at last it was time to prove myself as a camper: our first homemade dinner over the fire.



This is where it got interesting!

I had failed to bring any real BBQ tools and the fire pit itself was deep, with no grill.  

So I was poking way down in the coals to toss our baked potatoes with forks and sticks and oven mitts.  

There was smoke in my eyes and soot in the soup, the pot handle melted, and I almost singed my armpit hair, but overall, success!  

Brayden, my pickiest eater, raved about his potato, "this is the best meal I've had in weeks!!"

(How did I almost set my armpit on fire?  After poking around in the fire with the oven mitt I tucked it under my arm and didn't notice until Maddy screamed that it was smouldering and smoking!  Just one good reason to shave your pits once in a while)

One of the highlights of the whole trip for Brayden was using his real (very sharp) jack knife for the first time.



He spent over an hour whittling and carving 3 willow branches to make s'more sticks for us.  

What glow of satisfaction he had over his workmanship!

Another fantastic evening.  Tomorrow we break camp....







No comments:

Post a Comment