Thursday, December 10, 2015

Hobo Santa's Alternative Shopping Guide


Pictures of the best 30 presents Santa ever brought, some alternative shopping advice, and my current "coming-of-age" dilemma!


If you've already figured out
that Less is More,
how do you tackle Christmas
like you mean it?

This question gets harder
the more cognizant my children become!

This year marks the first time 
I've been seriously conflicted 
over their wish lists...

Even last year it was so simple!


My daughter was 8 and all she wanted
was a colouring book and a math book.

Bless my stars!

This year she wrote:

"Dear Santa, I wish for craft supplies and a real phone and if it doesn't bother you I would like an ipad and some gnome furniture and a doll and also a scooter, please."

Brayden's list was all LEGO,
and Davis' was a whole catalogue 
of things that get a flat out 'ixnay' from 
this Mother Claus!

It's complicated.

They are just entering the stage where they will probably listen to what their friends got
from Santa, and begin to feel slighted.

'Cause our Santa 
is a peculiar one. 

Christmas brings out my eccentric parenting
(like a werewolf to the moon).

This Mrs. Santa
does her Christmas shopping
at garage sales during the summer,
then rounds it out with odd thrift store items 
and a big splurge at the Antique Mall.

For nine years now I have preserved 
the mythology that Santa Claus 
does not work with plastic.

He does not bring LEGO
or anything that takes batteries.

His gifts look a little worn,
used, loved, chipped,
and perfectly unique.

They are wrapped in fabric
and tied with fabric bows.

This Santa
doesn't have
a single
piece 
of 
scotch
tape
to her name. 

Yes, I am hardcore obsessive 
about my Christmas aesthetic and
my old-fashioned Santa Workshop charm.

Want to see what our little elves 
have brought? 



Gnomes and gnome stuff are a constant.










Brayden, 6 years ago.  I love this phone!




Santa brings lots of shovels and brooms



Maddy's first dollhouse, homemade.
She still plays with it.








 

Blocks are indispensable.
Played with daily.



$5 garage sale wooden train




For Maddy this year!



On it goes.

I want their imaginations
to bustle with little elves

merrily hammering and painting
and restoring pre-loved toys
for children to love again!

Why does Santa need to bring
new things wrapped in cellophane?

Who says?

Well, they don't always appreciate it :)  

My 3 year old said to me yesterday,

"How come I wrote Santa 
my list the other Christmas
and he brought me a horrible present?"

I've also heard:

"Why did the elves make this toy so crappy?"

This does not phase me.

I'm not out to break their hearts
and shatter their dreams,

but 

I have an ideology to maintain!

It's not about being Scrooge,
it's just that
I've got good reasons
to keep a firm grip
on the reigns --

I am a warrior over the innocence
of my children,

and I know my enemy.

My loathing of Consumerism
is what's 
driving the sleigh.

Intuitively
I've battled the
Beast of Midnight Madness
all their lives.

With deliberate,
 counter-culture strokes
  
I have worked
to cultivate

Wonder                      

Mystery

                               and Reverence.


I call it

MAGICAL UNDERWHELM.

And it absolutely works.


I fully know that

 my children are what they are --

 soft, grounded, satisfied souls 

-- because they have

received

SO LITTLE STUFF.

 But back to my predicament.

As I write this,
I have been reminded
about why I do what I do.

Our family has standards
and
Santa is not a genie in a bottle.

But,

I also respect my kids' long-suffering,
their slight disappointments...
and their hope-against-hope
that maybe this time
Santa will fulfill their list.

 There is a time for everything,
 and 'everything at it's right time'
means letting go...

eventually.

:(

Ugh.  

Hobo Santa doesn't want to sell out!

But my kid's hearts
come above
my ideals.

So I think I've found my middle ground
for this year.

Santa's letter will read:

"Dearest Children,

Thank you for your lovely letters.
I wish I could give every child
all that they ask for,
but as it is,
my magic workshop is limited
by a few things.
I am bound to respect the wishes
of your parents,
so I'm afraid I can't do 
phones or ipads.
As for LEGO, I may let the occasional
set slip through, as I can see how
dearly you love it and how patiently
you have waited all year long.
I know you darling children
will understand that I need to spread
my gifts to those families
who are truly poor and needy.
I am always smiling over you
because your hearts are warm with
sharing and kindness.
I love you very much
and wish you a very 
joyful Christmas!"


 Christmas Eve will find me 
giddy on my knees
with the same sheaves of fabric & ribbon
I re-use every year.

(I should really just don some pointy ears
and put bells on my toes,
that's how utterly I love the job!)

I think this year 
the kids may lose their minds!

(we're talking one choice item each, that's it)

It's like waiting till you're married...
you know,
the anticipation! the fulfillment!
at last!




My reason for sharing this
is not to make anyone feel bad for being
a regular Christmas shopper!

However.

I do stand on the far edge
for a reason.

I do hope that my peculiar example
will inspire,

and even shift folks a few degrees
off baseline.

I also advocate for intentionality
in all realms of parenting --

Do what you do 
ON PURPOSE.

Know Your Goals.

For me,
it's standing against
the tsunami of Entitlement
and the Consumerism that gets in their blood.

Finally,

I offer this simple testimony:

Christmas morning 
in our house
is never a frenzy.

Never.

The glaze of greed doesn't
come over them.

It's dang fantastic
and I highly recommend it.

Just don't get to the Antique Mall before I do!
I've still got shopping to do!

p.s. another fabulous source
for magical Christmas gifts is
my friend Sharon Jong's boutique --

Check it out!!  Gnomes!  Felted goodies!


She's a wizard!













No comments:

Post a Comment